Here are some tips for integrating eco-friendly ideas into your home. Or, if being thoroughly eco-friendly is important to you check out our sister company – EcoBuilt Homes – and let’s plan it, for the planet! (www.ecobuilt.co.nz)
- Choose native plants for landscaping.
- Use light colours for your roofing to reflect heat.
- Use water efficient showerheads and toilets – they perform just as well and cut back on water usage.
- Install aerators to the end of your taps, this will reduce the amount of water you use.
- Install a rainwater harvesting system, take advantage of the free rain.
- Use low, or no-V.O.C. paints.
- Reduce the amount of carpet in your house – carpet traps dust and allergens.
- Don’t open the oven while cooking.
- Always match the size of the burner with the size of the pan.
- Turn off the oven during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Only run full loads in the dishwasher.
- Ensure your doors are well sealed.
- Replace traditional incandescent light bulbs with Compact Fluorescent’s to save an average of $40 during the lifespan of the bulb.
- Clean your light fixtures to increase lighting efficiency by 20%.
- Use dimmer switches.
- Install sensor lights.
- Install double-glazed windows.
- Install a solar photovoltaic power system (solar panels) on your home.
- Install a wind power system.
- Install solar water heating.